Thursday, February 16, 2012

Contemplating the Nephilim by Scott Alan Roberts


I don’t know if it’s the rebellious, ‘question all authority’ streak in me, or merely a ‘damn-the-cannonballs-and-full-steam-ahead’ bravado, but I continually find myself questioning everything - even the things I tend to believe with the faith of a true zealot. As far back as my conservative, fundamentalist, evangelical seminary training, I tended to buck the system. I have no desire to create the false history that I was some sort of youthful, angst-ridden, anarchistic rebel, but suffice it to say I was, many times, labeled a ‘trouble maker,’ simply for asking certain questions. It was sometimes a serious charge leveled at me, and other times a tongue-in-cheek, wink-&-nudge understanding by my professors that they, too, suspected there was much more beneath the surface of our systematic theological dogmas.

That is the foundational stuff that culminated in my writing a book on the Nephilim. The stories of the bible had been presented to me so many times over the course of my childhood, that I felt I already possessed all the answers. But the detriment to being raised with those old stories is that they start to take on the aura of being just that – tales. We forget that these things, however they actually happened in the course of history, were real events happening to real people somewhere at their core.



It wasn’t until I began thinking through my beliefs and sifting through the stories of faith, that I started noticing the missing elements and recognizing the gaping holes in the theology under which I had so willingly immersed myself. Now, this is not to say that those old bastions of faith were somehow misplaced or irresponsible in their doctrinal approaches, it’s just that they weren’t looking for the deeper answers, therefore they tended to blind themselves to the missing pieces of the puzzle that didn’t fit their theologies. Dogmatic practices governed, manipulated and even ignored the questions, thereby rendering their followers incapable of even seeing the questions that were left bleeding-out like so many open wounds.

I want to ‘know’ things. I want to seek out the ‘reasons why’ I believe something. Faith without an object or foundation is blind, and I hate stumbling around in the dark. It is for these reasons that I set off in search of answers to my many questions.

The Nephilim were always a bit of an enigma to me. I was taught the story of ‘Noah’s Ark’ in Sunday School, and in even greater detail when I was in seminary. Throughout all that education, however, never was I taught that the Sons of God and their Nephilim offspring were connected to the flood of Noah. And as it turned out, the mention of the Sons of God and the Nephilim were actually the preamble to the story of Noah and the Ark. The descent to human women of the beings known as the Sons of God, their subsequent cohabitation and sexual intercoursing, and then the ramifications of these acts on all of humanity, simply raised deeper questions in my mind. First of all, I wanted to know who they were, and secondarily, but not of less importance, I wanted to know why the account was so ignored in religious teachings. I wanted to know more. So I studied and researched and dug deeper.

It is incontrovertible in my mind that humanity underwent huge, creative interruption somewhere in our primordial past. The ancient history of humankind experienced an interference on so great a level as to be seen as nothing short of grandiose, if not catastrophic. The historic ramifications of the acts of the Watchers and their hybrid offspring affect not only the course of human DNA, but the entire thread of religious history, establishing the world’s theologies and underscoring the subtexts of myriad spiritualities.

The story of the Nephilim – no - better: the history of the Nephilim is far-reaching. Their presence on this planet, from our ancient past through to our current events is tangible, yet strangely invisible to those who do not look or ask the questions.

Conscius gigno curator gigno scientia relinquo sapientia. 
Roughly translated, “Awareness begets Curiosity begets Knowledge bequeathing Wisdom.” 
In other words: Think, seek, learn and apply. Repeat.

Scott Alan Roberts is the founder and executive editorial director of Intrepid Magazine, a journal dedicated to politics, science, and unexplained phenomena. He is a radio show host, popular public speaker, and stand-up philosopher. He has been interviewed on scores of radio shows and was editor-in-chief of SyFy’s Ghost Hunters magazine, TAPS ParaMag. He attended Bible college and theological seminary, working toward his master’s in Divinity, but left for a 33-year career in advertising and publishing as an art and creative director, designer, illustrator, photographer, and wordsmith. He is the author and illustrator of The Rollicking Adventures of Tam O’Hare, a historical novel set in Tudor England, Ireland, and Scotland. He lives in rural Wisconsin with his wife and children. His recent release The Rise and Fall of the Nephilim is now available.

6 comments:

  1. I too am rebellious, in that what is taught is not the complete truth. The Nephilim breeding with daughters of man fragmented our chromosomes passing key genes into the cytoplasm. These untouched hidden keys of mtDNA are gift of our mothers and can be traced back to these daughters who procreated with Nephilim. Those genes belong in the nuclear DNA and will return man to the Garden of Eden when the magnetic field of Earth shifts energy to matter ratios recalibrating every atom. The attraction of the magnetic component in the atoms nucleus will draw these fragments back into alignment turning on the non-coding introns and junk DNA. man will then know his God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Anonymous. On what sources do you base your notions?

      Delete
  2. You wrote: ". . . the more difficult it becomes to trust in a God who resembles so many other mythical characters----many of whom preceded him in the historical record." Perhaps, he allowed the Evil One to put those many other mythical characters into the historical record to test my and your faith?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote: "the more difficult it becomes to trust in a God who resembles so many other mythical characters---many of whom preceded him in the historical record." Perhaps He has permitted the Evil One to put those other mythical charcters into the historical record. Why? Well, because so He can test my and your faith . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William,
      Thanks for taking time to comment, here.

      The first thing that strikes me about your words is that they are completely faith-based.

      Nothing wrong with that, in the least.

      However, if our answers to questions of mythology and legend are rooted only in personal faith experiences, theology or dogma, then the entirely of our argument or contention is nothing more than an expression of our faith or a personal anecdotal experience or claim.

      To say that, perhaps, the "Evil One" is responsible for putting other mythological characters into history is a notion that is worthy of discussion in topics like these, but it is also completely within the realm of faith. No one knows that an "Evil One" exists outside of faith.

      We can say that we believe Evil exists, for we can see it demonstrated on a daily basis by watching people and events around us. But to hang that evil on an individual persona is simple an extension of what we be;live about the universe by faith alone.

      For the record, I am no atheist or "non-believer," but if we are to examine these sorts of mythologies that span many different cultures and religions, we have to of necessity remove ourselves from the box of faith in order to examine the question. When faith is used as the filter, whose faith is the correct one to use? On any given topic of this sort, that faith filter will change from faith to faith to faith.

      And it is dogmatic theology in any particular faith that creates abuse and control, especially when the proof of the faith is only in the personal appropriation.

      I can tell you that I believe God parted the waters of the Red Sea to allow the fleeing Hebrew slaves to escape the army of the Pharaoh. Can I prove that happened beyond stating that I simply believe the story? No. My only proof would be to say that I believe it because my faith tells me it is so.

      Faith needs no pinnings. Faith requires no evidence. The Apostle Paul wrote in the New Testament that "Faith is substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen." But that is contained completely wining the structured walls of theological dogma.

      Regarding the "testing of my faith" by a supreme, holy, omniscient, omnipresent Deity: that seems to be, in my opinion, more a construct of a finite-thinking, imperfect being set on a course of religious control rather than one of a perfect, loving God.

      A good article to reference might be Carl Sagan's "The Dragon In My Garage." http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm

      Thanks again for writing and sharing your thoughts.

      Cheers~!
      Scotty

      Delete
  4. Hi , I am Molly Rae , I to am very interested in nephilim . I do believe that dna has been infiltrated by nephilim , I believe that if you read certain poetry and fable such as poetry by Emily Dickinson and fables from Aesop certain animals such as hares are spoken of . I would like to know what is the relation between a hare and nephilim . I am on Facebook for anyone with answers and even speculations .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...