Your presence is your personal emanation—your projection of yourself into the world. It’s the vibe people have when they’re with you. You may have a calm and gentle presence, a murderous presence, or any variation in between. Your presence is your ambassador to the world. It negotiates your intent and opens or closes the doors that co-create your circumstances.
Presence informs others of the manner in which your energy is following your mind. If your mind is frenzied and unbalanced, your energy will be scattered and your presence will be insubstantial. If your mind is focused and disciplined, your energy will be coherent and you will be masterful. The quality of your energy is reflected in your presence.
Where you place your attention is where your energy flows. Strong attention comes from disciplining your mind, a practice that increases the strength of your energy field. When you place your attention firmly on an object with no distractions, you develop your presence and it becomes a powerfully ally. Your presence can feel into the nooks and crannies of a situation, it can discern truth, it can forge strong alliances, and it can bring meaning and connection, creating better outcomes.
The key skill in developing presence is the ability to hold multiple factors in focus simultaneously. One example of this is staying connected with your inner core while also connecting with elements in the outer world, balancing your attention between your inner feelings and an external person or event. The presence involved with this kind of attention is profound. As a receiver, it is the difference between being listened to and being heard, and the difference between simply being with someone and being connected. Another example is balancing intuitive information with intellectual reasoning. Both work together, one providing energy information and the other providing intellectual reasoning.
Being in the present moment, balanced between the forces of the past and the forces of the future, is one of the most profound examples of this skill. The point of power, the place of decisions, is always in the present moment and the ability to be engaged in the present is the point of personal power.
The Circle of Life pattern activates an energy flow in the shape of a torus, or donut-like array, through and encircling your body. The donut hole of the torus aligns with your cylindrical core and the outer tube expands your personal emanation. Both increase your presence. Here’s a shortened version.
Increasing Presence Exercise
1. Center and ground yourself as described.
2. Activate the Circle of Life pattern.
3. As you inhale, draw energy up your center line from your Base chakra.
4. Breathe the energy through your physical and spiritual centers, and send it out through your Crown chakra.
5. Allow energy to flow as a fountain out of the top of your head, cascading in an arc around you and collecting in a pool beneath your Base chakra.
6. Keep drawing the energy up, through, and out, forming the torus pattern.
7. With every breath, increase the size of the torus until it reaches the largest radius you can sustain with ease.
8. Notice how your balance, vitality, clarity, and attention are affected.
Circle of Life
Description: This meditation activates your meridians by circulating energy along the Great Central Channel of Chinese medicine. This channel feeds and interacts with your entire meridian system, while nourishing and defending your bodymind. The meditation has two distinct flows. In one, energy travels down the center line of the front of your body, under and then up your back. Sometimes this pattern is called the Microcosmic Orbit. In the second flow, a circle is created by energy traveling up the internal central core of your body, the Hara line, becoming a fountain when it crests the top of your head. Like a fountain, the energy flows down around the boundary of your aura, pooling under your Base chakra, where it is gathered together and re-circulated up your core. The Circle of Life nourishes and revitalizes all aspects of your physical, mental, and emotional being. It helps prepare your nervous system to handle larger quantities of high frequency energy.
- Promotes balance between nourishment and defense.
- Supports your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual constitution.
- Revitalizes, renews, and rejuvenates.
- Balances excess/deficient energy.
- Creates even distribution and smooth flow of energy.
- Clears your thinking and focuses your actions.
- Opens psychic perception.
- Prepares the body for higher spiritual frequencies.
- Improve health and strengthen the immune system.
- Regain physical strength after trauma, depletion, or exhaustion.
- Clear old, stagnant ideas and beliefs; create positive action.
- Prepare for spiritual and /or healing work.
- Sit comfortably with your back straight and well supported.
- Breathe in, center, and ground yourself, letting go of unnecessary tension.
- Relax your jaw and place your tongue lightly on the roof of your mouth. Contract your perineum as though holding your bladder.
- Inhale, drawing the breath in below your belly button to an area called the Hara or Sea of Energy, where vital life force is stored. Breathe light into this area until your belly feels full and vibrant.
- While breathing, on your inhale imagine light flowing from your belly down under your torso into your sacrum, up your spine, and out through the top of your head.
- On your exhalations, imagine energy flowing down your face and through your tongue, down the front of your body, curling under your torso, and up your spine to complete the circuit.
- In tandem with your breathing, keep the energy flowing along this pathway until your bodymind feels awake and alive.
- At the completion of the meditation, draw all the energy into your Hara for storage.
Caution: It’s easy to become over-stimulated with this exercise. To avoid this, begin your practice with shorter sessions. If you do become over-stimulated, send the excess energy out of your hands and feet. With practice you will be able to handle both larger quantities and higher frequencies of energy.